The visitors of the Region of Makedonia will find it difficult to choose some specific archaeological sites, as ruins dating back to all the historic periods as well as the prehistoric one are scattered in the whole region.
… and the Great Flavours of Makedonia …
Day 1: Thessaloniki – Veria
- Arrival in Thessaloniki Airport Makedonia, meet with tour guide and depart with private coach to Veria
- Orientation tour of Veria and arrival at Winery Estate
- Your first cooking lesson will be all about the famous Greek pies
- Welcome drink with the owner of the estate, dinner and wine tasting
- Overnight in the estate lodgings.
Day 2: Veria – Vergina
- Visit of the Vergina Royal Tombs: were King Phillips and Alexander the 4th (father and son of Alexander the Great) are buried
- Visit an old Byzantine monastery and departure for a visit to Veroia City nearby.
- Stroll in the old Jewish quarters of Barbuta with the characteristic architecture and brief stop to traditional pastry shop to taste some local delicacies
- Cooking lessons and dinner with discussion on local products.
- Overnight stay at the estate lodgings.
Day 3: Kozani – Kastoria
- Home made breakfast and departure for Kozani
- Visit to Agricultural association of Krokus Kozanis to discover more about the production of saffron
- Lunch at traditional home with krokus based dishes
- Departure for Kastoria
- Afternoon check in at hotel and stroll on the lake side of Kastoria discovering more about the history of the city
- Coffee break with traditional Greek coffee and loukoumi with more breathtaking views of the lake
- Cooking lessons at hotel using giant beans (gigantes), peas, and fava, dinner including the appetizers cooked in lessons.
Day 4: Kastoria (Dispilio) – Prespes Lakes – Kastoria
- Visit to the pre-historic settlement of Dispilio
- Departure for Prespes Lakes for boat trip and bird watching
- Visit local giant-beans (gigantes) producer
- Lunch in traditional taverna based on fish from the lake
- Return to Kastoria, traditional sweets tasting and free time in city
- Return to hotel for cooking lessons and dinner.
Day 5: Edessa – Pella – Gianitsa – Thessaloniki
- Departure for Edessa for a visit to the park with its famous waterfalls
- Departure for Lefkadia, site of Aristotle’s School where Alexander the great received his education
- Visit to Pella site and museum, the city of Alexander the Great includes the palace he grew up in
- Departure to Giannitsa, welcome from Mayor in Giannitsa town hall and visit to local organic production farm and packaging plant
- Lunch in traditional workshop with presentation of dishes from local women
- Return to Thessaloniki and dinner in Ladadika area.
Day 6: Amphipolis – Kavala – Chryssoupoli – Ano Poroia
- Departure to Amphipolis for a visit to the site and museum, seeing the Hellenistic villa with its famous frescoes and the ruins of a bridge of that era built by Alexander the great’s father
- Departure for Kavala and lunch on a port restaurant to sample the dish midopilafo (mussel risotto)
- Departure to Chryssoupoli for visit to an asparagus farm and packaging plant
- Departure for Ano Poroia for visit to a water buffalo farm
- Check in at estate with welcome drink
- Return to hotel, dinner based on water buffalo products.
Day 7: Thessaloniki
- Breakfast and water buffalo cheese tasting
- Boat promenade and bird watching (flamingos and up to 400 different species that live in the lake)
- Return to Thessaloniki for a local guided walk including: ancient agora, galerius arch, rotonda, and white tower
- Dinner with a taste of ‘politiki’ cuisine.
Day 8: Thessaloniki
- Breakfast with traditional sweet and salted bougatsa pies (cheese pies) buffet
- Transfer to airport – Departure.
All participants will receive:
- A special greengreecegift
- A certification of participation
- All the recipes used in cooking lessons